Hello people, who may or may not like watching witches learn magic, this review is for you. Check out my take on Flying Witch!
Have you ever seen the Studio Ghibli film, Kiki’s Delivery Service? Flying Witch is like the alternate universe version of that movie. Just so you know, slice-of-life anime isn’t my normal cup of tea when it comes to anime so please, take what I have to say with a grain of salt. Other than those few things this anime is the kind of anime to kick back and relax with. The plot isn’t complicated but it’s interesting enough to keep you interested.
Things I liked about Flying Witch:
- It’s a cute show
- Cool magical creatures (I think my favorite’s the whale)
- Witches aren’t ostracized by society
- The familiars are great
- The thought that went into setting up the witch culture complete with their own newspaper
- I kind of like it in the last episode where they show the main characters for one last time, even if it’s only briefly. It’s a nice way to say goodbye and to show the audience that everyone’s doing okay.
Things I wished were different:
- Wish I could have seen the main character learn more magic
- Her sister, Akane (why is she there? She isn’t that helpful towards her sister or Chinatsu nor is she helping Inukai with her problem.)
- A certain character’s problem isn’t resolved by the end of the anime and that kinda bugged me but it’s not a huge issue
- Lack of urgency in the plot (Makoto is supposed to be learning witch stuff so is there a test she has to take to become a fully-fledged witch? I’m not sure.)
Overall, I give this anime an 8/10. I did enjoy this anime and recommend it to anyone who wants to see an alternate universe Kiki’s Delivery Service. Anyway, if this anime seems like your jam, feel free to check it out, happy watching!!