Hello people, who may or may not like dragons, this review is for you. Check out my take on How to Train Your Dragon 3.
Goodness, I can’t believe they made a third one. I’ve been waiting for How to Train Your Dragon 3 for quite a long time. Now I love this movie, it’s a genuinely good sequel movie because it adds to the universe the movies take place in. You feel immersed in the world of Berk and the Viking culture by the time the movie is over. Some part of me was a kid again, desperately wanting the movie to be real.
Also, this review contains my first spoiler warning because I can’t talk about some of my favorite parts without minor spoilers.
Things I liked about How to Train Your Dragon 3:
- New dragons are cool
- Female night fury’s design is not sexy like a furry but has actual sexual dimorphism like in nature
- New big bad
- The one scene where Ruffnut annoyed the crap out of the big bad
- The hidden world has one of those let’s-show-off-the-scenery-for-a-second and it’s just so satisfying
- Hiccup and Astrid got marrieddddddddddd (I’ve been waiting since movie 1 for this to happen)
- Hiccup and Astrid have kidsssssss
- They play some of the same music from the first movie in this movie which is a really cool homage to where the series came from and where it went
- Flashbacks with Stoic that makes me want to cry
- Hiccup’s mom encouraging Astrid to be there for her son, recognizing that sometimes you need your significant other more than your family
- The struggle of wants vs duty
- The struggle of progress vs tradition
- The new island of Berk
- Home is not a place but its people
- Parallels between Hiccup and Toothless continue to be beautiful
Things I disliked:
- One line they say tells you exactly how this movie will end and it makes me mad that I was able to pick up on that foreshadowing
- New dragons didn’t get nice humans to tame them
- Pretty sure this is the last movie of the franchise
Overall, I give this movie a 10/10. It was so beautiful and if you haven’t seen this movie yet, you should if this sounds like your jam. Anyway, happy watching!