Hello people, who may or may not like musical movies, this review is for you. Check out my take on Sweeney Todd!
Warning: Sweeney Todd is probably not suited for small children.
How did I find Sweeney Todd?
I am a huge musical theater nerd, I was a theater kid in high school, I have a list of roles I would love to play if ever given the chance, etc. Sweeney Todd is a musical and I was intrigued.
What is it about?
Before watching, I knew that it was about a murderous barber but that’s it. After the movie, I was sitting there thinking, Les Miserables, Sweeney Todd, and Count of Monte Cristo are all kind of the same movie with their own twists on how well it all plays out.
Things I liked:
- I liked Tim Burton directed this movie.
- It stars Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, and Alan Rickman. All of them are talented and added to the performance of the movie musical.
- I liked Carter’s optimism in trying to persuade Johnny Depp’s character to become a better person instead of continuing on this rampage
- The ending
- The barber battle royal
- How Depp and Carter adopted a child together since they spoiler spoiler spoiler
- The why Depp is killing everyone is heartbreaking especially at the end
- The music is really clever, with Leitmotifs that tell you who is who.
Thank you, Mr. Burton, for bringing Broadway to people who may not have watched it otherwise. Overall, I give this movie a 7/10. Thank you for reading my take on “Sweeney Todd”, I appreciate it. Comment below your favorite Tim Burton Film. If you like my content, consider subscribing to my mailing list and if you want a review on something similar, click here.